Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Potato & Mustard-Greens Soup

I made this on Monday.  I had a ton of potatoes in my kitchen and I had mustard-greens in my garden just waiting to be picked.  So I wanted to find a soup recipe that had both of these ingredients.  I searched for hours trying to find the "right" recipe.  Everything I found was either extremely fattening or non-vegetarian.  I decided to look at a few different recipes and make up my own.  It turned out delicious.  I was very happy with the end result  and so were my boys.  Here is the recipe:

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large onion, diced
3 celery stalks, cut fine
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 water
2 cups vegetable broth
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 teaspoons salt
1 cup mustard-greens, chopped
1/2 cup of milk, you can use non-fat, 1%, or 2%
Parmesan cheese, grated (optional)

Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.  Add the onions and celery.  Cover and cook for about 10 minutes.  Stir occasionally.

Blend in flour.  Cook for about 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add potatoes, water, vegetable broth, and salt.  Stir constantly until boiling.

Turn the heat down to low.  Simmer for 20 minutes.

Add mustard-greens, cook for 2 minutes.

Add milk, let it heat for about 1 minute.  Remove from heat and serve immediately.  Top with Parmesan cheese if desired.

Enjoy,
Alyson

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear your love!