Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Menus, Meditations, and Mama's Day!

I have been meditating a lot lately.  In the beginning of my journey of motherhood, I told myself I was going to practice peace and bring mindfulness to our lives.  My husband and I both knew that this was the type of environment we wanted to live in and bring our son into.  It has been a journey, with many different obstacles trying to get in the way of our goal of practicing peace.  We jumped right over those obstacles and continued on practicing and learning along the way.  It has been amazing.  Meditation is something that I have done from time to time but I want to start bringing it into our home more.  So now I add daily mediation to my journey.  I am learning to meditate within my daily activities;  waking up before my family and sitting on the back deck, sitting in the backyard under the sun, while gardening, on long walks, and while cooking.  It is so easy for me to meditate while cooking and I personally think it makes the meals better.  I hope to continue my journey towards daily meditation.

I am still learning.

I am continuing to menu plan every week and it has been going very well as usual.  This is an exciting week for us.   My husband's first art show during First Thursday at the Pearl District.  I am beyond proud of him and can't wait to for the show.  It has been so fun helping him prepare for this event.  We will also be spending lots of time at the farm.  And of course, celebrating my mama and being a mama on Mother's Day. 

Here is our menu for our week:

MONDAY-  Baked Salmon, whole wheat couscous, and steamed broccoli

TUESDAY-  Tuna melts and sauteed vegetables in a garlic sauce.  (My husbands night to cook, while I work.)

WEDNESDAY-  Happy Cinco de Mayo!  Chilaquiles Casserole, chips & homemade guacamole.

THURSDAY-  My husband's photo show.  Appetizers and finger foods at the show.

FRIDAY-  Breakfast for dinner-  Southwestern Tufo Scramble with whole wheat tortillas and black beans

SATURDAY-  Gemelli with bell peppers and tomatillo*

SUNDAY-  Mother's Day BBQ at my parents house.  I am baking carrot cake to bring.

*RECIPES:

Gemelli with Bell Peppers and Tomatillo (One of my best girlfriends from Turning Thirty gave this to me, while visiting her.)

Ingredients:
2 large red bell peppers
3 ears of corn, kernels removed (about 2 cups) OR frozen corn
1/2 pound of gemelli pasta
1/2 cup roasted tomatillo salsa or salsa verde
3 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon of salt

1. Preheat the broiler.  Line the broiler pan with foil; place the bell peppers on the broiler pan.  Broil 4 inches from the heat, turning occasionally with tongs, until evenly charred, 13-16 minutes.  Remove the pepper from the broiler, then wrap in the foil and let steam 20 minutes.  When cool enough to handle, peel, core, and seed the peppers and cut them into 1/2-inch-wide strips.
2.  Heat a 12-inch nonsticl skillet over medium -high heat.  Add the corn and cook until lightly charred in spots, 2 minutes; transfer to a large serving bowl.
3.  Meanwhile, cook the gemelli, according to package directions.  Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid.
4.  Toss, the gemelli, salsa, peppers, goat cheese, salt, and enough of the reserved liquid with the corn until the cheese is melted and the sauce is creamy .  Serve at once. 

Happy Mother's Day,

Alyson

"A mother is the truest friend we have, when trials heavy and sudden, fall upon us; when adversity takes the place of prosperity; when friends who rejoice with us in our sunshine desert us; when trouble thickens around us, still will she cling to us, and endeavor by her kind precepts and counsels to dissipate the clouds of darkness, and cause peace to return to our hearts."  ~Washington Irving

1 comment:

I love to hear your love!