The One Small Challenge is designed for everyone who joins to make one environmentally friendly change each month. The change can be big or small. The point is to take these small steps, which in turn will make big steps. When I started this challenge at the beginning of this year, we had already been doing some pretty major things to reduce our carbon footprint but there is always more we can do and room for improvement. Even though I only blogged about my One Small Change once, we continued to make changes throughout this year. Now that I am moving my blog in a faster direction, I will be blogging about our changes every month. My December One Small Change will be posted this evening.
Here are just a few of the changes we have made before this year and during this year:
- Composting ( I grew up doing this and continue with my growing family)
- Doing our best to eat locally, organically, and seasonally
- Growing our own food
- Preserve and freeze the food we grow for the winter months
- Use our own reusable grocery bags...no more plastic grocery bags. (This we have been doing for a long time now)
- No longer buy or use zip-lock plastic bags.
- No longer use paper towels/napkins. We only use reusable fabric napkins.
- We try to carpool or limit our driving. (This is a HUGE challenge, but we are working on it.)
- We reduce buying & bringing in plastic into our home. (This is also a HUGE challenge. It is so hard to avoid plastic.)
- When purchasing something, we choose the purchase with less packaging.
- We recycle EVERYTHING we can. I am pretty sure our recycling bin is always fuller than our garbage can.
- Hang dry our clothes.
- Many many more changes in our home.
Now...on to our menu for this week:
MON: Roasted Cod w/ Warm Tomato-Olive-Caper Tapernade served over angel hair pasta and steamed broccoli
TUES: Homemade Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
WED: Homemade Veggie Pizza and a fresh salad
THURS: My husband's company holiday party
FRI: Garlic-Dill Salmon, Rosemary Roasted Potatoes, and Crunchy Pear and Celery Salad
SAT: Potluck Party with some friends. I am bringing my famous Artichoke Spinach Dip. (I promise I will post it this week.)
SUN: Vegetable Dumpling Soup. (My grandma made me this before. It was delicious. This is not her recipe but I am going to try it. I can bet you my grandma's is better!)
Extra Cooking & Baking: (Most of these are for gifts)
Spiced Almonds (My wonderful friend, Jess, gave me this recipe. It will be posted this week.)
Christmas Sugar Cookies (My aunt's delicious recipe. We are having a big cookie making day with my aunt and Ayden)
It is a busy week! :)
Happy Cooking and Baking,
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. ~Native American Proverb