Monday, February 7, 2011

Menus and Voting

I am so humbled and honored that the judges at Paper Mama decided they liked my photo and placed me in the Top 30!  I am thrilled to be chosen with so many other great photo submissions.  YAY!  I am really excited!  So the next step is to get my friends and family to vote for me.  The top four with the most votes will win!  I can't believe I even made it to the Top 30.  Like I have said before, I NEVER win things, so this is new and fun for me!


So if you feel so inclined, would you pretty please vote for me!!!!!  I would SO very much appreciate it.  My number is 24 and it is under Peaceful Mamma.  Go to the Paper Mama post and vote at the very bottom.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

My husband and I decided to put our cook books to more use. I use a lot of online recipes when making meals, which is great and very easy but I have a huge collection of wonderful cook books.  I will be choosing at least two recipes from our cookbooks a week.  The following week, I will be posting the recipe with pictures to share with you all!  I am excited to share some of these delicious recipes.  My Hungarian Mushroom Soup recipe will be posted this week.

As much as possible, we make sure the recipe ingredients are organic, fresh, in season, and sustainable.  We do very well with not using canned or boxed items.  If the recipe calls for a canned item, we will substitute with a fresh item if it is in season.  If it is not in season, we use what we have frozen or canned (in glass jars) from our summer/early fall season (like tomatoes).  Some of our local grocery co-ops also have a great frozen section with lots of local frozen produce.  Of course it is hard to get away from certain canned items, like olives and coconut milk.  To be honest, those are the only two items I can think of that we buy canned!

During the summer months, we preserve and can in glass jars a lot of produce.  I can't wait to share the recipes this summer with you all.  I hope you are all doing your best to fight for the food revolution and eat healthy, organically, and sustainably.

MENU:  

MONDAY: Leftover Hungarian Mushroom Soup and Apple, Walnut, and Endive Salad

TUESDAY:  Whole wheat spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce and steamed broccoli

WEDNESDAY:  Cod with Fennel Butter and roasted potatoes & brussels sprouts. *Recipe will be posted next week

THURSDAY:  Vegetarian Taco Salad  (We omit the tomatoes, for season reasons-more about that in a later post.)

FRIDAY-  Homemade Pizza with homemade dough. 

SATURDAY- Salmon Croquettes* (recipe will be posted next week) and a green salad

SUNDAY-  Polenta & Vegetable Bake (Not using the vegetables from the recipe.  Instead we are using all the leftover veggies from our week and our homemade preserved tomato sauce.)

Extra Cooking,
Valentines Day Baking & Treats (I will dedicate a whole blog about this later this week.)

For more meal planning inspirations, visit I'm an Organizing Junkie every Monday.

What are you cooking this week?

Peace, Love, and Understanding,
Alyson

“Don’t eat anything your great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. There are a great many food-like items in the supermarket your ancestors wouldn’t recognize as food (Go-Gurt? Breakfast-cereal bars? Nondairy creamer?); stay away from these.” -Michael Pollan

4 comments:

  1. Funny - I just made Moosewood's Hungarian Mushroom Soup for dinner before I even read your post :)
    It was so much more filling and savory than I anticipated! I just looked up the nutrition info for it and not counting the lighter ingredients I substituted in (organic unsweetened soymilk for 2% and organic nonfat greek yogurt for sour cream,) each serving has only 235 calories!

    I can't get these shrimp nachos off my mind - definitely on my to-do list at some point this week. http://www.closetcooking.com/2011/02/shrimp-nachos.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie...THANK YOU!

    Caroline....Isn't her soup delicious??!! Wow...I am happy to hear the calories are low. I knew it had to be. I also substitute olive oil instead of butter.

    I can't wait to try that recipe you share with me! THANK YOU FOR SHARING! YUM!

    -Alyson

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quote from Michael Pollan. I just read his Food Rules book.
    I'm so glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your love!