Saturday, January 8, 2011

Pay It Forward....

I had a whole different plan for what I wanted to write about on my blog today but when I read this story and learned about the fundraiser, I knew right away I needed to change my plan for today.

I stumbled upon Kelle Hampton's blog late last night.  She is a photographer and a mama of two little girls.  Her youngest little girl, Nella,  was born with Down Syndrome.  Her blog is her journal of the challenges and blessings she faces as a mother with a child with down syndrome.  Grab some tissues before you read her blog for it is amazing, touching, and inspirational.  I will be a long time reader of this blog! 

Kelle's story also grabs at our heart just a little bit more because my husband's youngest brother has down syndrome.  Brigham faced some health challenges when he was a baby and Dr's said he could expect only 15 years of life.  He is now healthy and very high functioning at the age of 21.  He has accomplished more than any 21 year old I know.  He has sang the National Anthem at the National Rodeo in Vegas, at the Salt Lake City Bees game, his high school football games, a motivational conference, and many other public events.  He has met the President of the United States of America, the Governor of Utah, and the whole BYU football team. He and the Attorney General of Utah are on a first name basis!  He has been the homecoming king and a motivation to almost everyone he has met.  Brigham brings so much spirit and inspiration to any situation he is involved in and  I feel lucky that he is my brother in law and that we are a part of his journey!  He absolutely makes our life richer!

So in the name of Nella, Brigham, and all the other sweet down syndrome children and adults in this world, I ask you to be apart of this fundraiser.  Kelle Hampton has started a fundraiser through the NDSS (National Down Syndrome Society) in honor of her baby girl turning one this month.  The NDSS mission is to raise awareness to Down Syndrome and to create a culture that fully accepts and includes the individuals with Down Syndrome.  The NDSS also puts on a walk fundraiser in cities throughout the US in awareness for DS called The Buddy Walk...I have been involved in the one in Bend in 2008.  You can find her NDSS fundraiser page here.......Nella's ONEder fund.  Even $5.00 will make a difference.

Here is Kelle's blog and post about her fund........Pay it forward
Here is her story of Nella's birth...........A birth story   (grab a tissue)

 Enjoy a video of Brigham (my brother in law) meeting the entire BYU football team. 



Love, peace, and understanding....

Alyson



"Children remind us to treasure the smallest of gifts, even in the most difficult times." - Allen Klein

5 comments:

  1. I Love Kelle's blog!! I found it just after Nella was born have been an avid reader ever since. Her writing and her story is such an inspiration. Brigham is a super sweet guy. Kudos to you for helping to raise awareness for such a worthy cause!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first visit to your blog ... I have been following Kelle's blog for almost a year now. The video of Brigham brought tears to my eyes ~ truly amazing!!! Thank you for sharing it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all for visiting and reading my blog. It truly means SO much to me.

    Kelle's blog is amazing. I am hooked!

    Caroline....I love your blog...btw! Thank you for continuing to read mine.

    Heather....Thank you so much for stopping by. Do you have a blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful...just beautiful! If we all could have such joy and wonder for life, what a better place this world would be. Wishing all the best to Brigham. He looks like a great guy. And how extra special to see all those football players be so kind and have fun with him. Wonderful video. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you Wendy for such kind words and for reading. Brigham is an amazing individual!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your love!