Monday, January 31, 2011

Mtuzi wa Samaki & Yemarina Yewotet Dabo

I am loving all the international food recipes we have been trying lately.  I was really intimidated about cooking international foods but it isn't as hard as it sounds.  Both of my African dishes turned out delicious and I am proud of myself for trying them.

Mtuzi wa Samaki is a Kenyan dish of white fish in coconut curry.   We served it over Jasmine rice and it was very yummy.  We love curry dishes and the way it engulfs our house in a delicious aroma.  The recipe called for white fish, so we bought sustainably caught cod fish.  The fish guy at the counter helped us find the right kind of white for the recipe!  I always tend to strike up a conversation with the fish department employees when buying fish.  I have learned a lot from them about different types of fish and how to cook it.  The Kenyan curry recipe also called for coconut milk.  I decided on the "lite" coconut milk, to cut the calories and fat content down a little.  We only used a tablespoon of lemon juice because we didn't want the lemon to take away from the curry flavor.  I highly recommend this recipe.  Don't be intimidated like I was, it is always good to open up your horizons to new things!  For the recipe- click here

Yemarina Yewotet Dado is a Ethiopian honey bread recipe.  I can't say enough good things about this bread.  YUM YUM YUM!  We really enjoyed this bread, even my 100 pound yellow lab enjoyed it when he stole a piece from the table.  What a stinker, but I am glad I could share.  I really enjoy making bread.  I think I get this from my mother, who baked bread my whole life and taught me how to do it the right way.  There is something very therapeutic about kneading bread for 10 minutes straight!  One of the best smells in the world is the scent of fresh baked bread.   I want to bake some bread just talking about this!  I would not change a thing about this recipe and I will make this over and over again.  Try and enjoy it!  For the recipe- click here.

Here are some pictures from the Ethiopian honey bread.  I missed taking pictures of the curry dish because dinner time tends to be a very busy time of day for us, so taking pictures was forgotten about.  I baked the bread during the day which allowed me more time to take pictures and to use the natural light from the windows.

Ha...trying to take pictures and pour at the same time!
I hand grounded the coriander.


Happy cooking,

Alyson

"The best of mankind is a farmer; the best food is fruit."    - Ethiopia Proverb

4 comments:

  1. So excited to try both of these! I accidentally bought way too much cod for fish tacos last week and put a giant fillet in the freezer. This should be the perfect way to finish it off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! These look amazing! I have never tried anything like this...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ally, thank you for writing about everything that is on my mind. I love coming to your blog for inspiration and comfort too :)
    I love you and your family!
    I will be using your recipes for the next three weeks because it is a busy time for the Swans!
    I hope you come for a retreat out this way, I will find something great for us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Caroline,
    I am glad you are trying it. Let me know what you think! And thanks for reading!

    Megan,
    Thanks for stopping by and reading! Let me know if you try it!

    Jessica,
    I love you lady. Thank you so much for the kind words. You are an inspiration to me by being the wonderful friend and strong woman that you are. I am glad you are using the recipes...that is why I post them. I am working on the retreat. Maybe in May?? Thank you for being you!

    Thank you all,
    Alyson

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear your love!